Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Kyoto Day 3: monkey see, monkey do, monkey fall on face

7/13

After grabbing a quick breakfast from a bread store we met Naho to go to Arashiyama monkey park. First, we stopped back at Kyoto station to change our shinkansen tickets because we realized that for three more dollars we could ride the nozomi which is the fastest train in Japan! Then we headed out to go see some monkeys. We weren't really sure what to expect at a monkey park but turns out it was exactly what it sounded like. After hiking for a while (it was way too hot for that) and seeing signs everywhere that warned not to touch the monkeys, not to look them directly in the eye, etc., we finally got to the top and saw monkeys everywhere. They were just sort of hangout doing their monkey thing. There was also a building with open windows that were covered in chainlink fence. Inside you could buy food, put you hand up to the window and the monkeys would take the food directly from your hand. I had a slightly clutzy moment and ran directly into a bench and cut my leg pretty badly. It was really frustrating because I was so sweaty that my band aid wouldn't stay on my leg. After cooling off inside and feeding monkeys for a while we went and explored outside. It was really neat because you could just walk right there with the monkeys and we even went and played on a playground that was for them. (If anyone cares I think they were Japanese Macaques)

After our monkey experience we asked Naho for recommendations and she said she had never been to Nonomiya Shrine so we (minus YR who went back to the city to meet a friend) walked there. This shrine is famous for its bamboo forest which was very pretty. Afterwards we went to a crepe shop and then this store where I bought a souvenir because everything there was made by handicapped people and the money went to help them. After resting there for a while we went back to J-hoppers to get our stuff and headed out. Everyone (including Rie) met at the station and I bought some more souvenirs, including this famous Kyoto sweet as an omiyage for my hostmom. Then we rode the fastest shinkansen in Japan back home! This was really fun and instead of sitting on a bus the whole night we got to speed back in comfortable seats on a ride that was only about 2.5hrs.

The Arashiyama area.

Me feeding monkeys. Shortly after this I tried to walk forward without realizing there was a very sharp bench right in my way. It's funny because I ran into the bench, said ow, fed the monkeys I was walking towards, realized my leg still hurt, looked down, and then realized I was actually bleeding...

One of the people working there brought a monkey to pose with us. (Naho, Zac, me, Kevin, YR)

The view from the monkey park (there's even a monkey). Hiking up there was really painful in the heat.

Me posing with an uncooperative monkey, he wouldn't even face the camera with me.

Another uncooperative monkey and the boys doing the hear no evil, speak no evil, see no evil pose. (Zac, YR, Kevin)

Naho playing at the monkey playground. On the left you can see a monkey wondering why the humans are playing with its stuff.

Bamboo forest and Nonomiya Shrine.

Bye-bye J-hoppers my first hostel experience was fun.

The train approaching from the right is the one we rode. We had really worked ourselves up about being able to ride a shinkansen and it was pretty sweet.

No comments: